<VV> Re: Snow Tires

Garth Stapon stapon1@earthlink.net
Fri Feb 18 00:01:28 EST 2005

My other hobby is snowmobiling. In January, I planned a trip to Manitoba,
Canada  (1,700 miles from CT) to do some snowmobiling.  I visited my
favorite tire website (tirerack.com) to see what was available in the way of
snow tires.  I bought a set of four Firestone Winterforce winter radials and
added studs for good measure.  My wife was kind enough to let me use her
2000 VW Passat Wagon as my tow vehicle. It has traction control but is only
FWD. I drove to Toronto, and the on to Kenora Ontario.

I was towing a covered two place aluminum trailer with one snowmobile in it.
The weight of the load was 1,800 pounds (including the trailer).

The Sault Saint Marie to Thunder Bay, Ontario leg got interesting.  Fresh
snow and monster hills. (This is one of the prettiest drives in all of
Canada, but I recommend that you do it in summer) The car handled it without
a problem, mostly due to the traction control and these tires.

On this trip, these tires pushed through up to 12 inches of powder without a
glitch.

I highly recommend them to anyone that lives in the snow belt.

FIRESTONE WINTEFORCE SNOW TIRES RULE