<VV> Re: Control Arm Identification

Garth Stapon stapon1@earthlink.net
Sun Feb 20 16:28:31 EST 2005

Gents:

There is a very remote chance that the control arm may be made of cast iron.
If it is, it would require a vastly different welding procedure.

To determine this there are several things that can done. (safety glasses
recommended)

1) Put the arm in a vice. Put a grinder to the surface of the arm and if
straw colored sparks are prevalent, it is cast (These are actually carbon
particles).
2) Put the arm in a vice.  Use a sharp chisel and hammer at a 30 degree
angle off the surface of the arm. Try to remove a small amount of material.
If it curls up in a pig tail, it is cast steel.  If it chips off in small
pieces (after multiple attempts) it is cast iron.
3) Try to flame cut an old scrap one (one that is to be reused should not be
flame cut -sever the one you wish to reuse with plasma or machine/grind it).
If it does not cut easily with oxy-fuel, it is cast iron.

Just want to be safe.  If someone will do this and let me know the results
it would be helpful. If it turns out to be cast iron, I will need to
recommend and alternate procedure for welding.

LATE CANADIAN POWER GLIDE SEDANS RULE