<VV> question for Garth Stapon

John McMahon jmac2112@adelphia.net
Sun Feb 20 19:47:59 EST 2005

Garth,

My name is John McMahon, and I'm piecing together a 1965 Monza that has a
lot of rust.  I've been using an oxy-acetylene mini-torch (Meco Midget),
and I've gotten pretty good at welding sheet metal with it, but I've been
having a heck of a time with brazing.  I've got some 1/16" bronze brazing
rod, and I've been heating it gently and dipping it in the flux, but I'm
having a very hard time getting it to start flowing.  Even if I take a
scrap piece of sheet metal and heat it up and try to make a pool on it, I
have to heat the steel up until it is *almost* melting before the brazing
rod will start to flow, and then sometimes I get the silly situation where
the two metals melt into one another.  Anyway, the books make it sound so
easy, like you can just heat the steel until it's a deep cherry red and
then touch the rod to it and it will start flowing, but that has NOT been
my experience.  If you can think of something that I'm doing wrong, or if
there is a better type of rod to use for sheetmetal, please let me know!

Thanks,

John