<VV> Exhaust Crossovers

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Sun Feb 20 20:23:10 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/20/2005 8:15:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
airvair@richnet.net writes:

> I once had such a piece of plumbing. Actually what it was a "speed
> shop" part that was meant to "modify" a stock single exhaust into duals.
> It was only the left half and required that the "existing" stock exhaust
> be cut off under the bellhousing, then this new piece slid onto the
> stub, and mounted to the stock left manifold. A left side muffler could
> then be added. The result was a dual muffler setup, with an integral
> crossover. Slick!
>
> -Mark C

*************************
That of course, is the cleanest way to do it.....BUT......ggg

Exhaust flows in one direction......the ideal way is to not make it turn!  If
you follow current performance exhaust..you'll see they are now FINALLY
touting the joining of the 2 pipes in a manner to help "scavenging" [ one pulse
pulling the next].  I 63-83 Vettes...which had the same "droop" problems our
duals do...the "trick" was to Siamese the 2 pipes under the diff.  It helped
exhaust flow and support for the long pipes...

That's why I'm pursuing the reversal of the manifolds, with cut damper doors,
to allow the pipes to join in a manner that is smooth / straight and exit
thru a muffler that exits behind the rear wheel.........and does not cause any
clearance problems....suspension / ground.....single outlet but better than
duals?  Time will tell..and of course Dyno time....

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Chairman V V