<VV> Headlight-Bucket Sealant?

WadeHalsey HiHal at adelphia.net
Wed Feb 23 12:04:39 EST 2005

N. Joseph Potts wrote:

>I've had to remove the headlight buckets on my 1966, and when replacing
>them, I want to use a sealant as much like the original as possible (it held
>up well for 38 years). The Tech Guide includes a report of use of "silicone
>rubber," which I would think would work, but the original appeared to be a
>type of foam, and I wouldn't know how to find a silicone rubber that was
>foamy.
>     Would anyone have a specific product recommendation for something to
>resemble the original item as much as possible?
>     If anyone has NEGATIVE experience with any particular sealant, I'd be
>interested in hearing about that, too.
>     Of course, I want my buckets to remain (as) removable as they were
>originally (not very, but enough for emergencies like no trunk keys).

Joe, I was hoping you would get some recommendations because I need to
seal the headlight buckets in my
"Buckeye Deer Killer".  I saw a product at the hardware store called
"Great Stuff Flexible" which looks like it might work. This is not the
old foam product which expands to become rigid insulation in a wall cavity.
The new flexible product, according to the package, does not expand and
remains flexible after it cures. The instructions said that the entire
can has to be used within two hour of opening. The price was $5.99.

Let me know if you try this or find something else which works well
since I'll be installing my buckets shortly.
BTW, Craig Keller of Delaware OH repaired the damage from my deer
collision and my '69 is back in the driveway looking good again!

Wade Halsey