<VV> Gas tank repair

corvair at mb.sympatico.ca corvair at mb.sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 24 14:25:24 EST 2005

Many radiator shops will also do gas tanks; I paid about $150 Canadian about three years ago to have my tank cleaned, patched, sealed, and painted.

Les
=====================
Message: 1
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:23:00 EST
From: HallGrenn at aol.com
Subject: Fwd: <VV> Rampside gas tank
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org

In a message dated 2/24/2005 8:24:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, wern3 at juno.com
writes:

> Is the tank a replacement situation?

Tim:  You should get lots of replies on this.  I've had good luck with two
solutions.  The first is to remove the tank, flush it out, (weld up any holes)
put a length (two or more feet) of medium sized chain inside, shake the tank to
knock the loose rust off, flush again with kerosene, drain and coat with a
gas tank sealer that is available from vendors.  Be sure to follow the
instructions to allow the sealer to coat completely.  The second, when I had a rusty
'64 FC tank, was to pay a franchise of Gas Tank Renew to restore the tank.  They
dip it, cut an access section out, weld up any weak spots and coat the tank.
The lifetime warranty goes with the tank (theoretically you can transfer the
tank to other vehicles and the warranty is still good),  The price is up to
$300 though.

Bob Hall

Group Corvair
'64 'Brier