<VV> rampy gas tank

Keith Hammett khammett at stainlessfab.com
Thu Feb 24 17:24:38 EST 2005

So far to remove the dents we have 1) fill with water and freeze and 2) use
air to push the tank out.  I have never tried the freeze method so I will
not comment on it.  I did use the air method once on a Granada that fell off
the jack stands and punctured the gas tank and left a huge dent.  After
welding the tank up I then reinstalled the tank in the car and proceeded to
blow the dent out.  Not only did the dent come out but it pillowed the tank.
This happens at a very low pressure, so be careful!

I would recommend that you support the tank to prevent the pillow effect.
Use some plywood (fairly heavy) and block it to the ground.  Do this with
the tank in the FC.

For your sender there is a vendor that sells rebuilt units.  You might be
able to clean and coat the sender.  Replace the rheostat with a new one.
You can get a universal unit from Don's Sport Shop.  I don't have the web
address handy but it should be printed in the next Corvanatics newsletter
along with the part number.  These are the 0 to 30 ohm units (hard to find
in a universal).

If you need more info contact me.

Keith Hammett
'62 rampside w/ new stainless gas tank and sender
'65 Monza vert