<VV> Measure Voltage Drop (main fuse question)

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 19:38:15 EST 2005

II doubt that you will see even a tenth of a volt at full current and I  feel
that we do need protection.  In fact, I'll go and check  the voltage drop at
Imax on my '66 and report back.  Why add  one?  Our cars were built to provide
5 years of service, give or take and  we (like B-52s) are at many multiples
of the design-life.  Things wear,  chafe, and degrade and we have (in most all
Corvairs) unfused B+ running all  over the car.  Poor repairs (on a
Corvair??), corrosion, and shoddy parts  lurk. Most people don't have a clue as to how
to repair or modify wiring  properly.  Why not protect the investment with a
$15 mod?  Many  customers have brought in expensive cars that nearly met their
demise through  wiring fires.  Also, insurance companies sometimes view a
wiring fire as  "poor maintenance" and will deny loss claims. So, every car that
gets  wiring repair in my shop gets a Maxifuse.  I don't see any significant
downside.  Manufacturers have been fusing the B+ for over 35 years.
IMHO, Craig (screw loose, but good fuse) Nicol

<snip>A few tenths on a 12v system is more than I'd like to see,  especially
since
incandescent bulbs, like the headlights, have a brightness  proportional to
the
3.5 power of the voltage.
So, the real question is,  why add something that does this, and you don't
need?<unsnip>