<VV> Re: Measure Voltage Drop (main fuse question)

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 19:56:23 EST 2005

Not to sound horribly argumentative, but you ALL know how anal I am about
headlight wiring, and voltage drop. It's amazing how much there is, and where you
find it. Remember circuit breakers and fuses blow or trip by getting hot, and
that means RESISTANCE! I've measured it across fuses and breakers, and at or
near their current rating, and the voltage drop is often more than a volt!
So, I hear ya on older cars, questionable wiring, etc., that a bit of
protection isn't a bad idea. With that in mind, I've found the MAXI fuses to have the
lowest voltage drop.
On the other hand, on two of my cars where I have KILLER headlights, I left
the big fat wire to the relay banks unfused, and ran it inside a piece of
rubber hose, to prevent it from shorting to anything. Then I have an ATO fuse for
each filament. The total voltage drop, in this case, is 0.25 volts from the
battery to the bulbs.