<VV> Marine Lower Unit Gear Lube

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Sun Feb 27 22:30:01 EST 2005

I wouldn't risk it, if I were you. Even though it seems to meet all the
specs, the risk isn't worth the savings. For one thing, marine lower units don't
run anywhere near as hot as a Corvair diff could, since lower units are totally
immersed with water running over and through them. Also, lower units are
typically filled with almost no air space, so foaming issues are rather different
than for a final drive unit.
And then there's the potential issue of how well it'll work with syncros.
Marine lower units typically contain no brass or bronze parts, due to the
potential for electrolysis. And they certainly don't contain syncros!
My 2 cents worth...

John

In a message dated 2/27/2005 9:41:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,