<VV> Was "New Thread", now Camaro Taillights

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 11:43:31 EST 2005

Ahh, that would be me. <GGG>  I have '67 RS Camaro taillights  in my '66. My
inspiration came from a Solar Sprint I had in the '70's.  It had 68 standard
Camaro lights in a '65 Corsa.

It's clear to me that there was strong Corvair/Camaro DNA sharing going on
in the design studio.  The Corvair rectangular cove molding shape and trim
width matches the Camaro taillights so well.  Most people that comment view  the
installation as a factory variation rather than a custom piece. (I take that
as a compliment).  Having said that, I will say that it's not a simple  thing
to do.  The Corvair cove is concave where the Camaro cove is flat  left to
right but convex vertically.  The lights have to be recessed about  3/4" at the
outboard corners and the cove has to be built-up about 1/2" under  the inboard
sides of the lights.  On my old Solar car, they just put a  wooden wedge under
the inboard edges of the lights and covered the whole shebang  with
alligator-grain vinyl top material (Ugh!).

Here's the link _http://members.aol.com/nicolcs/corvairefi/corvair.jpg_
(http://members.aol.com/nicolcs/corvairefi/corvair.jpg)
If you want, I could just sell you my car and save you the trouble!
Craig Nicol

<snip>Sometime about 4 or so years ago, I went to a web site to  check out an
LM with 67 Camaro tail lights.  Don't recall if the site had  been posted on
VV or not.
Anybody familiar with this Vair?
After seeing  one in the 70s or 80s, I always felt this is the way the
General should have  built them from the get go. <unsnip>