Answers Re: <VV> voltage drop, relays question

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 16:07:26 EST 2005

Jeff,
    The same procedure would apply to hooking up a relay to control the
headlights, except you would need separate relays to control the low beams
separately from the high beams.  Use the dimmer switch to send a signal through the
stock wire to the relay.  From the relay to the headlights use heavier wires
(depending on the current drain of your NEW headlights).  The relays could be fed
through a separate heavier fuse/breaker since the breaker in the headlight
switch would no longer control the current reaching the headlights.
    As to whether you NEED a relay, measure the voltage drop occurring
between your system voltage and the device under consideration.  If it's over 1/2
volt, then you certainly could benefit from installing a relay or increasing the
wire size leading to the device.  Or you could simply have a poor connection
or a poor ground in the stock wiring.(:-)
    Frank Burkhard

In a message dated 2/25/05 10:15:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,