<VV> em convertible pump question

John Headley robedinpurple@yahoo.com
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:39:54 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

A while back, I wrote about finding a company called
Hyrdo-e-lectric in FL and purchasing some convertible
top cylinders and lines to replace the very leaky ones
in my 64 monza.  The system is back together, and the
cylinders and lines appear to be a good fit.  However,
I am having some issues with the operation of my
hydraulic pump.  The pump is a Clark's repo purchased
by p.o., and I don't have any idea how long it's been
in the car or whether he might have abused it (i.e.
running too low on fluid, etc.)  The pump will stop
working while cycling the top up or down and just do
nothing for approximately 30 seconds, then will be
able to resume, but might stop again.  It can take
several tries to get the top up or down in this
manner.  I don't have a lot of history on this system,
it was leaking so bad that I only cycled it a few
times before disconnecting the system altogether (but
it never did this in the few times I used it).  Here's
what I've done so far to try to track this down:

-Check all lines for kinks, one was getting trapped
but freeing it and keeping it out of the line of fire
did not solve the issue.
-Reverify fluid level up to filler hole height in
horizontal (mounted) orientation.
-Run cylinders up and down while not attached to the
top mechanism.  No change, pump still cuts out some
times (should mean it's not a binding issue).
- Hook up a test light at both power connections to
the pump and watch in both the up and the down
direction for current during the event.  In both
directions, the light stayed on, indicating no loss of
the circuit.
- Temporarily re-locate the ground to a better
location (no change), then improve the contact at the
existing location with a bigger screw (was loose).
Still no improvement.
- Reinstalled original cylinders and ran them up and
down without being attached to the top frame.  The
cut-outs happen even with the old cylinders.

I'm hoping someone has a trick up their sleeve,
because at this point, I don't have many ideas left
except replace the pump, but they are quite expensive
($220 from HEL, more from C's).  I want to exhaust all
options before I go there.  Any ideas?

-John Headley
64 monza convert
Royal Oak, MI (was 55 today, good car fixin' weather)