<VV> First car

Russ Moorhouse corvair65@verizon.net
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:29:11 -0500

Rod,

I have to agree with Les on this.  I have a friend who a couple of years ago
thought it would be a nice father-son project to get a Mustang convertible
that they could use to go to car shows and such.  He had enough sense not to
buy a V8, but he did get a rather nice looking 66 Mustang convertible that
required little work  When his son got his license his father turned the car
over to him to drive.  The first thing out of the bat he side swiped a car
on a bridge and then lied that someone hit him.  I would have taken the car
away at that point, but not this dad.  A few months later he ran off the
road on his way to school and hit a culvert head on, totaling the car and
almost himself too.

As for my own experience, I let my son talk me into letting him buy a 1972
Beetle, this was in 1990.  I went with him and looked at the car and it was
in remarkable shape and had passed state inspection.  But and old car is
just that -old and things do go wrong.  Over the 4 years that he owned that
car, more times than I care to remember, I got calls to come and pick him,
and tow the car home because something had gone wrong with the car and left
him stranded.  I'm just glad it was my son and not one of my daughters.  For
them I bought the safest, most reliable car I could afford.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member
Corsa Member