<VV> R.E. First Car

sam pam and fam sgrabenhourst@charter.net
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:36:20 -0800

If she wants a Corvair , great. If not , don't push it. If she wants anything
old, you did a great job raising her.  If you are already planning on spending
2-3000 on a car, you can make a corvair safe and reliable ,but not fancy ,for
the same amount. In the mid 70s my sister got a 65 Galaxie 500 vert for her
first car. She still has it. My niece ( her daughter ) got her first car three
years ago and it is a 71 Super Beetle. With time and money, it not only is
very special to her but was a great family project. It even made her High
School year book. Something unique can be a definate plus to a young person.
As for me I had a 53 GMC for my first. As far as safety goes, my sister
wrecked  our moms 65 Olds three times on her learning permit. No injuries, in
the early 80s she was driving a 59 Belair for five years, wrecked it a total
of 5 times and never got hurt, mid 80s was driving a 64 Dart, and wrecked it 3
times, again, never hurt. I know what your thinking, she was accident prone.
Except her 65 and her current car she wrecked everything she ever drove at
least once, and believe it or not , none of them were her fault. A good family
friends daughter had a 56 Belair sedan for her firt car , Teal and white,
350\350. H.E.I., ps and brakes. This was in the late 80s and she still has it.
Between ages 16 and 20 she wrecked her dads  triple black 64 Cad Coupe DeVille
5 times ( some were her fault ) even includeing a rear ending at 35 while
stopped. Never injured, and after being rearended the doors stilled clicked
open and shut perfectly. The rear clip was destroyed. He always felt that the
heavier sheetmetal was safer than what is out there today.  As far as
insurance is concerned, our old cars are cheaper to insure than late model,
even with full coverage. Parts can be MORE expesive for late model cars and
repair bills outrageous as most everything out there has to be sent to a shop
rather than being able to work on them yourselves( triple it for Volvo and
Saab ).For instance, complete tuneup, air cleaners, fuel filter, and belt came
to under 90.00 for my Corvair, at NAPA. My friends 88 Voyager needed a new
fuel pump, 95.00 and we had to pull the tank to install it. Ask, Frog Princezz
how hard it was for her to replace her fuel pump by her self.( the actual
replacement) All of these cars mentioned above were daily drivers year round
and some of them were their only car at the time.( not their second or third
). I do not have a daughter and have always wanted one, we are blessed with
three sons. If any one of them wants something old as a first car, It will
make me proud. My wife and sons have loved driveing ( wife ) and being seen (
sons ) in our old cars. Currently my seven year old loves being dropped of at
school in my 63 Monza coupe. So as you can see, there is much more to consider
than just what you mentioned.

Sam Grabenhorst
63 Monza Coupe ( daily driver)
15 other vairs.

Here's one for the dads...my 15-year old daughter is due for her license next
summer, so the inevitable "1st car" is not too far behind. Am trying to put
my
pro-corvair bias aside for a minute while considering if a vair is a wise
choice. Safety, reliability, and cost to buy, operate, maintain, and insure
are key elements - uniqueness is an added bonus...

Looking for some input here...if it were your daughter, what would you do?

Thnx

Rod
66 monza convt