<VV> RE:VV 15 years first car

Dave Morris "BigD" BigD@DaveMorris.com
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:44:07 -0600

First of all, every teenager's first car is GOING to get hit.  Trust me on
this.  It is GOING to get smashed somehow.  If it's not another car that
hits it, it will be a fire hydrant or a stop sign that JUMPS out into the
street.  So, rule number one is to get something that won't kill all of you
literally and figuratively when it gets hit.  Don't get a brand new
car.  Don't look at the eyelashes batting when you're shopping for the
first car.

Second, what sort of neighborhoods will your daughter be driving through
when the fuel pump craps out or the fan belt breaks?  If it's a bad
neighborhood, get her the most reliable Honda or Toyota you can find, a AAA
membership, and check her oil change schedule and tire tread yourself to
make sure she's not letting the car fall to pieces.  If you're not worried
about what happens on the side of the road, get whatever you want, but get
her a cellphone.

This comes from raising a now-21 year old boy and a now-24 year old
girl.  They've each "gone through" several cars and earned enough money to
buy their own cars... now a Mustang and a Turbo Eclipse.... after they each
totalled, hailed, crashed, or burned previous cars to the ground.

:)
Dave Morris