<VV> Heater control cable question...

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:53:17 -0700

My 62 wagon has a problem which I think is a broken cable?  With all the
levers up it blows cold air through the heater ducts.  With the heater
lever down it blows hot air.  But always blows air.  Do I need to replace
the middle cable?  Can it replace it and leave the housing in place?  Where
does it attach in the rear (some awful place to reach I bet :-))? Thanks!

At 08:33 AM 12/31/2004, you wrote:
>The procedures for frozen cables are petty intuitive, and involve trying to
>get lubricant/solvent to drain into the sheath from the high end. And they
>take time. CLOCK time, not necessarily actual WORK time. The procedures also
>benefit from detaching BOTH ends of the cable.
>      I know the south end of this cable is now difficult to get at, but you
>might consider detaching it anyway, in order to set the flapper over to the
>Heat position manually (without the cable attached), and leave it that way
>until you get the cable working (if you're patient, you're very likely to
>succeed, in my opinion).
>      Meantime, if you've got your flapper over manually, (a) you will get
>some blowing of cold air while the engine is warming up; and (b) after that,
>you'll get the heat you're after. Consider taking the plunge and detaching
>the cable from the flapper while you're working on the cable. You can also
>confirm that the flapper itself isn't sticking.
>
>Joe Potts, heater expert
>Miami, Florida USA
>1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of
pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html