<VV> Rocker ball watchout

GYoungwolf@aol.com GYoungwolf@aol.com
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:10:50 EST

After a frustrating hunt for some new rocker arm pivot balls, I thought I
would take a moment to post this recommendation. I usually find that most or all
of the balls in an engine have a wear ring where they contact the larger hole
in the rocker arm. This has been true on some fairly low mileage engines that
I have repaired (changed heads, etc.). I suspect it is from over-tightening
the valves in combination will less than optimum lubrication. I have seen some
with small chips of the ball missing in the contact area. I am posting this for
a couple of reasons. The first is so that you will want to check and replace
them if needed next time you adjust your valves (it only takes a moment to
remove and check one), and to warn you that they are starting to get harder to
find (at a reasonable price). The main parts house I deal with says the problem
is that suppliers want to sell them in sets (which is not a bad idea for an
overhaul, but not a good idea if you just want to correct a problem before it
creates the need for one). The owner of the store was able to find two dozen in
Mississippi for me for a mere $8.98. The going price, however is closer to
$1.75 each, so you might want to plan ahead for any change outs.
FWIW
The Carbmeister