<VV> tire alignment

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:35:58 EST

In a message dated 1/4/05 11:59:41 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk writes:

> He replied that the reason alignment was so unsatisfactory was
> because no-one ever did it. He said that if the customer went away they were
>
> instructed just to do nothing, but that if the customer hung around watching
>
> they used to bang around under the car, do various things (even undo the odd
>
> bolt if necessary), and then pronounce it aligned.

I guess that it takes a little experience along with visual acuity, but I
have found that I can pretty well check for good alignment myself. At least for
camber and toe. Caster would remain unchecked, but probably isn't a problem
anyhow.

Just park your vehicle in the middle of an open and FLAT field or parking
lot. Walk away from the car about 30 feet and visually align the front and rear
tires on one side. Do the same on the other side. Now do the same from the
opposite end of the car. You will probably have to get down on the ground (or your
knees) to do all this. But within limits, you can SEE how good the alignment
is. Sure it's crude, but we're just doing a gross check here anyhow.
Regards,
Bob Helt