<VV> Re: 5th degree over new tires (no Corvair anymore)

goofyroo@excite.com goofyroo@excite.com
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 07:43:56 -0500 (EST)

I work for a big company, and here's my insight on policies such as these "our book has to agree" mandates.

Typically, someone in Legal comes up with these in response to a lawsuit, or a threatened suit, or a settlement.  Sometimes it originates in the Customer Relations area in response to a complaint.  And other times it's from somewhere else entirely.

So the law gets handed down, no questions asked or allowed.  Often the field employees don't get the word; others look at the memo and scratch their head.  Why would we do this?  The memo rarely explains.

The by-the-book types will enforce it.  Others just won't because they know customers will fight them, and they take the path of least resistance.

Trying to make things go one way in a big company -- particularly when the policy defies common sense -- is often a futile task.

Michael Smith
Dallas

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com