<VV> Sparking Questions - Sparkling Answer!

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:55:15 EST

In a message dated 1/5/2005 1:54:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jimster1@earthlink.net writes:

A MSD 6A  ignition system just fell into my possession.  I know that many of
you  have used them, but as I didn't anticipate getting one at the time,  I
didn't pay attention.  Currently, I've got a Pertronix 1 unit  with
flamethrower coil.  All is happy under the hood.  It fires  my '66 turbo
motor without a burble.  Is anything to be gained by  installing the MSD?
Secondly, were are  any problems to anticipate  getting the tach to function
with this setup? An inquiring mind wants to  know. Jim B.

The MSD is an Okay racing Ignition. It has a good feature with a direct
magnetic pickup input. I ran the MSD-6A and -6AL on my Lola-Corvair, and the  -6AL
on the Camaro, using a magnetic pick-up. (A modified Chrysler 6-cylinder
pick-up on the Vair motor). They have been absolutely bullet-proof for  me, an
updated version powers every NASCAR Nextel Cup car. Like any electronics  piece,
however, they can die. And you don't limp home. Note that the NASCAR guys
have a special dual system where they can switch between systems during the
race. Hmmmm?  The MSD-6A has a special Tachometer output plug that  drives the
Corvair Tach just fine. But if your current Pertronix unit is working  fine,
stay with it. Just set the MSD on the shelf. I don't think it will buy you
anything. - Seth Emerson