<VV> Tire deterioration

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:09:52 -0500

We're off the Corvair subject a bit... but I think it's a more serious problem than you'd think at first blush. But not for the seldom-driven cars... for the daily
drivers.

And it's a fairly recent problem... tire treadwear was so bad in the "good old days" that I was only getting about 15-20k out of a set of tires... that's a year to
two years of daily driving.

Now tires are good for 60k, 70k, 80k+ miles! Suddenly we have 5 and 6 year old tires with good tread. Add in lack of owner maintenance and top-heavy
SUV's and BAM... you have the Firestone/Explorer problem.

But even on seldom-driven cars, you do get problems. Dad had a trailer tire (about 8 years old) come apart on his camper, doing several hundred dollars
worth of damage even he was able to keep the trailer on the road.) Drive a Corvair with "new" 7 or 8 year old tires and tires that are actually new and there
is a world of difference in both handling and braking.

I've discarded more tires for simply being old (and/or slipping a belt) in the past decade than I have because they were worn out.

So while I think it's a VERY good idea to drive on tires that are under 5 years old, I certainly don't want Government making new rules for us... and driving
up the price of tires even more.

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD