<VV> Tire deterioration

John Kepler bigjohnohio@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:37:12 -0500

, I sure don't see it as a big
> problem in regular car use.
> Craig (shopping for bifocals and a pacemaker) Nicol

My guess is that when you have a BFG All-Terrain T/A P235 SR15 attached to
your 2000 Dodge Ram 4x4 pick-up, purchased 6 months earlier, shred on the
Ohio Turnpike at 70 mph for absolutely NO apparent reason other than the
"new" tire was actually _14 YEARS OLD_ when purchased!  After you've almost
ended up as a hood ornament on a Kenworth, YOU might just think an
expiration date is a WONDERFUL idea!

BTW, it was the Firm's truck, and not quite sure what the Lawyer threatened
them with, but both Goodyear and the Tire Dealer (who USED to be a personal
friend of one of my partners) were mighty anxious to make the whole thing go
away!

Also, a tire engineer buddy told me that if the tire companies would revert
to a practice that was common 40+ years ago....wrapping the tires in a
material to reduce air contact, the tires would have a shelf-life measured
in decades.....just ask the Army!

John