<VV> Rear Wheel Grease

Ewell Mills emills5@cfl.rr.com
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:20:03 -0500

Thanks to all who replied with their recommendations.  Following are the views
expressed.

1. Mike Mann...Any Good Marine Grade grease.
2. Mike Mann...Mobil 1 Synthetic
3. J. H. Roberts Shell Darina EP or Mobil 1 Synthetic.
4. Bill Loftin (CorsaBill)...Valvoline with Moly.
5. Joe West...Mobile 1 Synthetic.
6. Anil Mittal...Any good Synthetic.
7. James Davis...Valvoline full Synthetic.
8. Original GM Grease from dealer (sticky,stringy stuff).
9. Navy Lubricant....Don't know,didn't ask. (couple of these).
10. Art Griffith (Artful Dodger)...Any old grease because it will last longer
than I will at my age. (My old buddy...recently removed from Florida to
Southern California).  He used Valvoline Synthetic on his car.

James Davis also suggested keeping clearance to around .001 if possible.  He
says this is very true on Ultra Vans that carry more weight than an average
Corvair.  CorsaBill also made mention that some of the guys and gals with
Ultra Vans have the axles (spindle's ?) turned down slightly so that the
bearings can be removed without special tools on the side of the road.  This
is possibly a great idea if one plans on keeping the vehicle and possibly
putting high mileage on it such as the Ultra Van people do.  Don't know if GM
had a good reason for having them so tight and difficult to remove and
replace. Works fine on the front, why not in the back?  (Don't mean to start a
flame war on this).

Since I was unable to find any Mobile 1 at any of the local Flaps, I went with
the Valvoline full Synthetic that I found in tubs (as well as in tubes).

Again....thanks for the help.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.