<VV> Tires for a '63 Spyder (Here we go again)

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:56:39 -0500

On Jan 5, 2005, at 9:53 PM, Wrsssatty@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/5/2005 9:46:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> bwschug@charter.net writes:
> I'm sure the 175's work fine on your '63, but they are small.
>  185/80-13's are very close to the diameter of the original 6.50-13's.
> Well, larry "Stock Is..." claypool wrote to me; "hi bill the correct
> size for an early model is 175-80x13; the 185-70's...are actually a
> bit smaller in o.d. than the proper size;...185-80...are 1 size
> bigger."

Well...

Original 6.50-13 tires ranged from 24.1 to 24.6" in diameter. This
covers a variety of tires documented by Bridgestone/Firestone. Corky
Coker currently reproduces a U.S. Royal 6.50-13 tire that is 24.58".
His "Coker Classic" is this same diameter. I am not aware of any other
6.50-13 tires available.

The Tire and Rim Association listed the diameter of a 6.50-13 as 24.7".
This is a sort of "standard" but does not necessarily mean that there
were any 6.50-13's that big, although there probably were. Most of the
tire manufacturers I contacted about this in 1993, didn't have records
of these tires.

With such a wide range of diameters it is hard to come up with a set
diameter and say that this is what they were. But most of these tires
were 24.4-24.6, so that's what you need to shoot for in a replacement.

Let me state that you have to decide what you're trying to do when you
pick your tire size. If you're looking for an accurate
speedometer/odometer, then what you want to do is to find a tire with a
revolutions per mile figure that matches that on your speedometer.
Remember, automobile speedometers/odometers weren't accurate from the
factory, but if that's what you are trying to accomplish, this is how
to do it.

Also, many times when you ask for a "replacement size" what you get is
a tire with the same load range. Its diameter may be significantly
different. We have all seen the "replacement" charts in tire catalogs.
One such chart shows the following as "replacements" for 6.50-13's:
B50-13, B60-13, B70-13, B78-13, 175-13. I think you can see these tires
are very different in diameter.

Your question was, "What size tire will look best - and close to stock
for this car?" This is what I'm trying to tell you.

Here are some diameters of popular 13" tires:

185/80-13 - 24.65"

175/80-13 - 24.02"

205/70-13 - 24.30"

195/70-13 - 23.75"

185/70-13 - 23.20"

The conclusion I draw from this information is that a 185/80-13 is very
close to an original 6.50-13. Do you agree? Keep in mind, these are all
mathematical diameters, not actual diameters. You need to look at the
manufacturers specs for actual diameters. I got these figures from the
following web page, which saves me the trouble to doing the math:
http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.html?ws13=1&

So, if this is true, then why is it that many Corvair experts have
different recommendations? Why is is that the information in the "CORSA
Tech Guide" as well as the CORSA Concours Rules differs?

After much discussion on this subject with other Corvair folks, it
became apparent that it was all based on a misunderstanding.
Previously, Corvair folks had taken the revs/mile figure on their
odometer and mathematically calculated a diameter from it. For years
the rule of thumb was that a 7.00-13 was 24.1" in diameter. This is how
that figure was arrived at. But tires don't work that way - THEY FLEX!
This means that the actual diameter of the tire must be bigger, because
the part of the tire that meets the road is LESS than one-half the
diameter of the tire! Some might say it is the radius minus the
deflection.

Looking at dimensions of actual 6.50 and 7.00-13 tires, this allows us
to understand that when these tires were mounted on our Corvairs and
driven down the road, the speedometers/odometers were as close as the
factory intended. This explains why the diameters of actual 13" tires
makes sense with correct mathematical theory. Understand?

So, why then is the information in the previously cited CORSA documents
inaccurate? Simply because they have not been corrected. It is my hope
that someday someone within CORSA will correct this and recommend
correct sizes for tires in the concours rules.

By the way, using this same correct logic, the diameter of a 7.00-13
was about 25.3". As you can see, there are no tires currently available
that are close to this. Further, I am not aware of any original
7.00-13's being reproduced. If you call Corky Coker and ask him why he
doesn't reproduce a 7.00-13, my guess is that he'll tell you because
there's no market for them. My opinion is that there's no market for
them because CORSA doesn't require them in stock/original-type concours
classes. It's a chicken and egg thing. Perhaps some day this will
change. In the meantime, next time you're at an AACA show, see if Model
A's and '40 Fords and '55 Chevys and GTOs and Mustangs have the
original tires on them.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina