<VV> Update - Let the Buyer Beware!

Hank Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 00:06:49 -0500

All
Just an observation from talking to lots of people at corvair swap meets and
national conventions.

It can be a crapshoot when you try to return an installed part to a Corvair
Vendor.  From the bulk of folks I have talked to, the West Coast major
vendor is more likely to "eat" a part you may have screwed up installing
than the East Coast major vendor. This does not of course, mean that either
vendor will take a financial loss on a part that the purchaser did not
correctly install. Don't get pissed, especially if you know you may very
well have had a large hand in the failure of the part.

I have mentioned in this forum before that a Master Cylinder is one of the
easiest things for an inexperienced installer to mess up.

Bench bleeding (usually with a screwdriver pushing on the piston) if done by
forcing the piston in too far, can cause failure of the seals on the piston,
and the cylinder will never bleed out the air. Also turns the cylinder into
a fresh rebuildable core.

Frankly, over the 8 years I have been on VV, there have been many
discussions of retrofitting late models that came with the single MC system
to the dual system, and many installers seem to have problems, even those
who do plenty of Corvair work. I don't know if improper bench bleeding has
been one of the problems.

IF you are a novice at brake work, find a FLAPS that carries Raybestos Brake
parts. Most of these jobbers have a bench bleeder "machine" that clamps your
MC in, and a handle to activate a rod into the plunger that will not let you
depress the plunger too far and mess it up.

Hope these words find their way to those involved.  Others mileage may vary.

Disclaimer

 Someone may have smartass remarks to make about this post,  Don't pay any
attention. I certainly won't.

HANK