<VV> Conventional, Synthetic Blend, Full Synthetic

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:33:07 EST

In a message dated 1/7/05 10:18:31 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
robert.vukas@jostens.com writes:

> My question is this: Is it worth using synthetic blend or full synthetic
> oil in our collector cars for the added protection?

Bob,
Go ahead and use whatever oil you want. Seals won't suffer.

The short answer to your question is, in my opinion, it depends on how much
oil your Corvair is consuming (before converting to synth) and the cost trade
offs.

The long answer (which I am going to abbreviate) is that the term synthetic
has been corrupted and now super refined conventional oils are called
synthetic. This means many conventional oils are already synthetic or part synthetic.
So you might well be using synthetic oil mix and not even know it.

Regards,
Bob Helt