<VV> Was Re:5th degree... Now Vote with your feet.

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:56:24 EST

Yes, Mark, I agree that a good way to have influence on vendors is to let
them know that they are losing business.  However, the message must get through.
If one of our group walks out of a Costco or Wally World, they lose the sale
on those tires or battery but does that message move up the chain?  The clerk
probably doesn't really care about the "Corvair trade" and just moves on to
the next in line.  He won't keep track of lost business and file a report to the
marketing department.  You need to ask for the manager before storming out.
He just might care enough to pass the information up the chain of command.  To
be really effective, a letter of complaint to "Corporate" should be sent.  If
they know that they have offended a number of customers who will take ALL of
their business elsewhere, they might modify their methods.  Tell Costco that
you will be letting your membership lapse and picking up a membership at Sam's
Club or elsewhere.  This is especially effective if they can check your
records and see that you are a good customer.  Sometimes, they will even send a gift
certificate or voucher to keep you happy.  Most customer oriented businesses
know that someone who cares enough to write a letter (or even email) is
someone who will really take his or her business elsewhere and also complain to
others.  Yes, the legal folks at corporate drive these sort of things but
ultimately, the companies are driven by profits.  If they realize that they are losing
more because of a particular policy than they would lose without it they are
likely to change it.  By the way, this holds true for politicians as well.  A
complaint phone call has lower priority, an email has more and an actual
letter by snail mail holds the highest priority.  Obviously, silence carries very
little weight.  The only difference is that a phone call can be very effective
if you are trying to solve a specific problem and not trying to change policy
as we are discussing here.

Just my opinion.

Doc
~~~~~~~~