<VV> Synthetic Oil / Sludge

UltraMonzaWest@aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 23:18:41 EST

rbyers03@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> What worried the owner and me, of course, was whether the sludge build-up
> would one day block one of the oil passages.  Two years later he was still
> driving it with no leaks and no engine failures.
> Ron Byers

Ron,  you must be young!  gggg

In the 60's it was very common for many to still use "non-detergent oil" [SA]
with the ensuing sludge buildup!  I've seen the lifters flat [ usually why
they traded the car in] as well as the oil light not going off....pull a valve
cover and see no valvesprings...mountain of sludge...oil filter cannister [
elements fit inside]  dry/hard asa rock.

Remedy..fill the crankcase with Kerosene / pearle solvent....carboard in
front of the radiator.....get it so hot it boiled over....

shut down...remove plug..and usually use a screwdriver to unplug the
drain!...Then this is when you found the STILL dry  filter!
We used a coathanger to ream out the passages the best we could......then
refill [new filter]  with any ATF......someone would drive the car hard for a few
days....

Usually the snoking stopped...the lifters pumped up......oil leaks???   All
cars leaked oil then!  gggg

I personally kept one of the worse....little old lady had driven it "missing"
 for 4 years....'56 Olds 324"     6 broken valve springs...

I drove it hard for a year [10k]  then gave it to my foster mother who drove
it back east to Ark...Several years later and many long trips...she gave it to
a worthless son, who had found religion...until he got  car....whereupon he
totaled it.

Matt Nall
65/66/69/DB/BT
Coos Bay, Ore.