<VV> Let the Buyer Beware - Final Chapter

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Sun, 09 Jan 2005 14:08:39 -0700

I think the comment about establishing a relationship and sticking with it
is particularly important.  A vendor with a long-term relationship with a
customer is much more likely to respond favorably in a dispute than a
stranger.  Spreading the business may seem good, but also making your
chosen vendor strong is good as well.  I have a list of vendors I use for
different things and I pretty much stick with it, even though I have had to
go to others every once in a while, and the other vendors have been good as
well.  I have never had any problems with the bigger name established
vendors and am thankful we have them!

As an interesting aside -- we write software for large Unix systems for
catalog and wholesale sales.  One aspect of it is the "Customer Service"
software that analyzes returns.  If the return comes from a long-term
customer with high dollar sales and little history of past returns, the
software automatically refunds the customer, no questions asked.  If the
customer is new, spotty, buys little, or returns often, the Customer
Service department get notification along with the history ... allowing a
human to make a decision.  I think many business practice this policy
whether or not they have such software.

At 03:34 PM 1/9/2005, Richard  Tyson wrote:
>For those who have followed my posts describing efforts to obtain a refund for
>a returned dual master cylinder kit, I'm pleased to inform you that yesterday
>I received a check from the vendor.  The amount of the check did include a
>restocking fee that is standard practice with our parts' vendors.
>
> >From this rather unpleasant experience, I think that I have learned several
>valuable lessons.  First, establish a relationship with a vendor that provides
>the level of service that meets the majority of your requirements.  Determine
>what is most important for you as a consumer - price, availability, delivery
>time, quality, friendliness, after-sales service, etc.  It is unlikely that
>all these areas will be satisfied for each and every purchase.  Second, stick
>with that vendor unless there is a very good reason to change (for instance,
>the part is simply not available).  It is with this aspect that I made a
>significant error.  Although I established a "track-record" over a period of
>25 years with another vendor, I chose to make a change based on price and a
>desire to "spread" my business around.  I will not repeat this mistake in the
>future.  As harsh as the business world often seems, I realize that it's
>ultimately a matter of survival of the fittest (i.e. those businesses that
>provide the highest level of service with the greatest frequency).
>
>I want to thank all of the board participants who responded to my posts with
>advice and/or personal stories of vendor problems.  I especially want to thank
>Larry Claypool who interceded on my behalf with the vendor and facilitated
>resolution of the problem.  My only advice to others who may find themselves
>in a similar situation is to follow up immediately after a problem is
>identified.  Contact (telephone is probably the best option here) the vendor
>ASAP and make your concerns and desires known.  Be persistent, maintain the
>communication until the problem is resolved.  If resolution is not
>forthcoming, solicit assistance from our CORSA volunteer.
>
>Thanks again for your support!
>
>Rick T

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of
pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html