<VV> Let the Buyer Beware

corvairs lonwall@corvairunderground.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:57:55 -0800

Now remember that I am speaking from an unusual point of view - I'm a
vendor. What would you do if a one-time customer buys a product, doesn't
know how to use it, calls up and yells at everyone he talks to, is rude
and abusive (because of his own ignorance?), refuses to accept that a
"return" policy is not a "refund" policy, returns the parts and they
look like they've been hammered on and are completely unsaleable to
someone else then blackmails you because you won't send the money back?

This type of customer makes doing business harder and more costly for
all the other customers. The example you quote below is often practiced
by companies with a much greater markup than your average Corvair
vendor. There is room to absorb unreasonable returns and refunds. But
let me give you another thing to ponder.

Our business is 31 years old this month. Of the literally hundreds of
businesses we've dealt with for suppleirs in that time, virtually NONE
of them are still in business. Of course companies like Federal Mogul
are still there - but not even close to the same ownership or
configuaration they were 31 years ago (they've also filed chapter 11
during the time as well).

Over the years we've give refunds and exchanges to "good" customers who
send us back parts they have destroyed, didn't buy from us etc etc etc.
The past 3 or so years of recession it has gotten worse and some of
those customers have gotten very belligerant if we didn't just grin and
eat it.

The consumer fantasy world says "The customer is always right".  Is the
customer who shoplifts always right? Is the customer who buys with a
rubber check always right? Is the customer who is dishonest, rude and
abusive to my employees always right?  At the Dallas National many years
ago a "gentleman" loudly accused us of "cheating him" because we had
"charged him 120.00 for two sets of door weatherstrips" and didn't put
them in his package. he actually went up and down the vendor room
almost at the top of his lungs proclaiming this fact. I had been out of
the room when he did this, and returned to hear him berating Linda and
almost reducing her to tears. I very sternly told him he had better get
his facts straight and that there were much better ways to handle the
problem. LATER the vendor came back and meekly admitted (in an
oh-so-quiet a voice) that he had made a mistake - the weatherstrips had
been left up in his room. Is the customer ALWAYS right? Bullshit.
(Excuse my candor)

By the way - despite his loud proclaimations, Dallas was a record setter
for us in sales at the time.

When a vendor screws up we need to make it good. It's our obligation.
Even though we have little to no control over what our suppliers send
us, we're still ultimatly responsible (MOST manufacturers will not take
back merchandise from us). But we're not here to be abused either. If
that costs me some sales from the few customers who will only feel
comfortable in dealing with vendors that they can take full advantage
of, then that's fine. Life is too short.

This market is somewhat unusual because over the past 31 years I've
gotten to know MANY of you personally. Anyone can post anything they
want on VV or elsewhere but, fortunatly for all of us, there is a
reality far beyond the virtual kind. Linda and I appreciate the many
years of support you have shown us and we will do our best to live up to
your expectations. Lon

www.corvairunderground.com