<VV> Let the Buyer Beware - Handling customer support

Dave Morris BigD@DaveMorris.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:25:02 -0600

I've been on both sides of this discussion.  The price of one upset customer:

First off, only about 1 out of 7 call to complain.. the rest just get angry
in silence and will not tell you.  Each upset customer will tell roughly 5
to 20 of his friends (or as you saw in this case, several hundred of their
friends on a discussion list).  You can compute the "Lifetime Value" of a
customer by predicting their orders over the next 5 years, and then
multiply that by the number of other people who will believe the irate
customer's claims and stop buying from you.  Take that dollar amount, and
multiply it by 7 to account for the people who were pissed and stopped
buying for you, but never called to complain.  That's your total lost business.

I operate a web site with 75,000 registered customers.  Obviously sometimes
things go wrong when you're dealing with millions of transactions and
technology that is racing ahead faster than most people can think.  And I
have encountered several obstinate users who were convinced that I was "out
to get them" and purposely trying to make their lives miserable because of
some error message that popped up only on their computer.  I always take it
as a personal challenge to turn those people around and make them my
greatest admirers.  I once made a two hour phone call to Australia to turn
a guy around who was spewing poison until I changed his mind.

Some experience as a director of technical support in a previous job helped
me understand how to deal with irate customers, and if a company has never
availed itself of some of the books and tapes on the market on the topic if
handling irate customers, I highly recommend looking for them on Amazon.com
or look at Nancy Friedman's (www.telephonedoctor.com) materials.  Usually
it works, but sometimes it doesn't and you just have to "let go" and serve
the others as best as you can.

On the other side of the coin, some people can't seem to do business
without getting into lawsuits and attorneys and major hassles.  I hate
doing business with customers like that, and most vendors try to steer them
somewhere else if at all possible, because they can be a real drain on
resources, especially for a small company.

Dave Morris