<VV> Re: Let The Buyer Beware / Humour

Tye Howard tyhoward@forsythcable.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:45:41 -0500

Just a few observations!

In thirty years of dealing with customers, I have had the best - and the
worst!

If a huge account just lands in your lap, you might better check on his last
two suppliers to see if they are still in business.

Please, Please call me before whatever I sold you is no longer recognizable.

If you have had it for over a year, I probably can not fix it for you either.

Rarely are computer parts guaranteed for your Lifetime - or able to run on the
newest Microsoft flavor of the month.

Your cousin's friend who is home from school for four days, may not be your
best source for computer and/or automobile repair.

Customers are not always as forthright as they should be, and often I wish
that I could just call their Mothers directly.

By the same token,

If you have been in the Corvair business for many years and have a good
reputation, don't put your new part-time high-schooler in charge of anything
or anyone.

If you have Corvair in the name of your business, we expect you to know how to
help us if we ask questions, and we should never be ashamed to see your work.

In my case, if you buy a car from California with 15 years of support by one
company for an original elderly lady owner - I will not ever hold her
responsible for the car being poorly sorted out, I will hold you responsible.
I will talk about you with twenty or two hundred other people.

Vendors are not always as forthright as they should be, and often I wish that
I could just call their Mothers directly.

With regards to our parts suppliers, They are quite possibly the best on the
planet.  I know because I have dealt with so many other suppliers of other
products.  How many times have all of us been amazed that a some gizmo that we
did not even know existed until it broke on the car is still available (new,
repro, or NOS) with choices or possibly even chromed?  Some parts are great
bargains, some are a little high (for me), but the fact that they are
available for Corvairs never ceases to amaze me.

With regards to our supplier's customers, they certainly have the most
intelligent customers on the planet.  We have a thousand ways to do the same
thing (each way is the true and correct way; of course).  Some of us look
relatively normal, so when the vendors are seen with us, it doesn't scare
their dog - or their spouse's too very much.  If you find one of our phone
numbers, you can call at any hour of day or night and we will try to get to
you with parts, jokes, cup of coffee or whatever (and we put our numbers out
willingly).  If you have a perfect car, someone will find something wrong with
it - But if you have a rag and drove it to wherever you meet another customer
they will compliment you on it.

Anyway - I still love the cars, and I still love the folks that love the cars!
Thanks to one and all.

Tye Howard

(2) broke

(1) 68 Monza sort of - but runs great thanks to Tom Mays and Clay