<VV> Synthetic Blend Oils

Corvair6t5@aol.com Corvair6t5@aol.com
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:57:20 -0500

During the convention in Lexington, there was seminar by Ashland Oil, makers of Valvoline. I didn't attend, but my dad did, and when someone asked the Ashland guy what percentage of synthetic was in a synthetic blend, he gave the "Can't divulge industry secrets" excuse. I've read that an oil company has to add 5-10% synthetic to legally call it a blend. If that's true and most companies go with that percentage, you'd be better off home brewing 4qts dino with 1qt full synthetic...likely giving you a better blend for less $$. But that might open a "Home brewing will grenade your engine" debate. :-)

There's a great site that tells you everything you wanted to know about oil. They've got a very active forum along with it:  http://bobistheoilguy.com

Regards,

Pat Bremer
Speedway, IN