<VV> Oil changes again (no Corvair)

AeroNed@aol.com AeroNed@aol.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:11:37 EST

In a message dated 1/11/2005 10:10:19 PM Central Standard Time,
tonyu@roava.net writes:

I was  also told that it was manufactured by Goodyear

Some Corsairs, not Corvairs, were built by Goodyear during the war. Many
factories built different stuff during the war. The really unique thing about
the GY Corsair was that the fuselage skin was rubber.

The second letter in the Navy designation, at that time, indicated
manufactor. The U in F4U was for Vought Aircraft. I think the GY letter was G.  This is
how a Corsair could be a F4U and the Wildcat could be F4F  (Grumman).

I'm fairly certain that all Corsairs had the PW 2800.

Ned