<VV> Oil changes again (no Corvair)

Dennis Nichols dixiehwy25@yahoo.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:07:15 -0800 (PST)

Rubber skin? Hmmm.... never heard that one.

But Goodyear did make Corsairs. Hundreds of F4U's were made by them. Due to Navy policy though they were desiganted FG-1(F4U-1D?) and, I think, an FG-2 (F4U-4?) as well. Both were identical to those corresponding Vought built versions, and used the the P&W c2000 HP engine.

The F2G was the hot rodded Corsair. Goodyear took an FG-2 airframe and modified it for use with th Wasp Major.It was a version for low-altitude attack work and it was felt with the Wasp Major, it could carry a healthy load, similar to the profile of trhe later AD Skyraider or F4U-7. By the time they were done with ir it only had a family similarity to a Vought Corsair. The fastback was cut down and replaced with a bubble canopy. I dont think the F2G ever received the "Corsair" monniker officially either, although it was easy to see its heritage. Once the Wasp Majors were released in 1944, Goodyear went to work and went through prototype and service test paces and production was commenced. Unfortunately, this was near the end of July, 1945. Fewer than 10 production versions were made- I'm thinking just 3 or 4. As the producted was startred, WW II in the Pacific came to its abrupt halt, and the production contracts immediately cancelled. They are, indeed, rare.

Two Wasp Major service planes not yet listed are the a Martin pair, the P4M Mercator and AM-1 Mauler.

AeroNed@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 1/11/2005 10:10:19 PM Central Standard Time,