<VV> Oil changes again (no Corvair)

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:50:01 -0800

At 01:11 hours 01/12/2005 -0500, AeroNed@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 1/11/2005 10:10:19 PM Central Standard Time,
>tonyu@roava.net writes:
>
>I was  also told that it was manufactured by Goodyear
>

>Some Corsairs, not Corvairs, were built by Goodyear during the war. Many
>factories built different stuff during the war. The really unique thing
about
>the GY Corsair was that the fuselage skin was rubber.

!!      I see...  ;)

>The second letter in the Navy designation, at that time, indicated
>manufactor. The U in F4U was for Vought Aircraft. I think the GY letter
was G.  This is
>how a Corsair could be a F4U and the Wildcat could be F4F  (Grumman).
>
>I'm fairly certain that all Corsairs had the PW 2800.

Goodyear built ten F2G Corsair airframes with the PW R-4360 corncob engine
for use as interceptors against Kamikazes but the war ended after only ten
were built, so production stopped there.   I'd been told that the
silver-blue "clip-wing racer" Corsair formerly hangered at Chino was one of
these F2Gs.

By the way, Republic also played around with the R-4360 in a few
Thunderbolts but war's end halted that venture as well.

Memphis Aerotech Center has a "cut-away view" R-4360 on display, electric
powered, quite a sight to see it working.

tony..