Twin vs. Single Turbos Re: <VV> new thread- dual turbo on a corsa

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:57:32 EST

In a message dated 1/13/05 11:03:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, Levair@aol.com
writes:
The only theoritical advantage to
dual turbos is that the extremely small size size, if correctly sized, leads
quicker spin up due to the smaller flywheel-inertia effect of the turbine
blades---hardly measurable.
Warren,
    Well, I beg to differ.  According to A. Graham Bell's "Forced Induction
Performance Tuning", "The reasoning behind the twin turbo system is quite
simple -- a big turbo takes a long time to spool up to speed so turbo lag becomes
an issue"  (This is particularly true for a street driven car, especially "stop
light to stop light".)  Again Bell says "Also, in Vee style and boxer
engines" (that's exactly what the Corvair engine is) "a single turbo invariably has
to be located off to one side.  This, in turn leads to a long crossover exhaust
from one side of the engine to the turbo."  (Exactly what the Corvair has)
"That long pipe loses a lot of heat energy that should have been put to better
use accelerating the turbo. <SNIP> Two smaller turbos can be mounted up close
to the exhaust ports, minimizing heat loss and miximising exhaust energy.
Smaller turbos have a lower moment of inertia so they spin up to boost more
rapidly, thereby minimising lag.  Additionally, turbine wheels accelerate better
when hit by distinct and powerful exhaust pulses.  More cylinders into a common
exhaust sees exhaust flow activity even itself out and pulse intensity being
diluted.  Fewer cylinders exhausting into a single turbo spaces the pulses
further apart but each pulse has a greater intensity peak to give the turbine
wheel a good solid bang, so it accelerates faster, producing more boost more
rapidly."
    Of course Corky Bell thinks that twin turbos have no advantage over a
single larger one.  But he also thinks that water injection is a "Band-Aid" and
of very little use.(:-)
    So whether or not to go with the increased complexity of parallel twin
turbos depends on the type of driving you intend to do.  For road racing or
other events where you can keep the rpm up above 3000 and the engine load up above
1/4 throttle, the cost and complexity of the parallel twin turbos is probably
not justified.  But for street driving and drag strip driving where it's
critical to get high boost as soon as possible and it's hard to keep everything in
the exhaust system "warmed up" I would definitely consider using twin turbos.
 Consider mounting them on the ends of the exhaust manifolds (switched so
that they exhaust out back) to completely eliminate having to heat up the long
stock exhaust pipe upstream of the turbo.
    Reminds me that one of the early Corvair draggers (maybe Dick Griffin)
used to win his races by pulling up to the starting line at FULL throttle using
the brakes to control his speed.  If the race began promptly he usually won.
If, however, there was a delay, causing his exhaust system to cool, he usually
lost.  Notice that in all the turbo 4 cylinder cars, the turbo is put on the
end of the exhaust manifold to maximize the heat into the turbine wheel.  When
I insulated the piping from the manifolds to the turbo in my 180, the boost
came up much quicker and increased from 8 psi to 10 psi.  Unfortunately, after
6 months of highway driving, the stock elbow disintegrated due to overheating,
but the concept of conserving heat was proven.
    Frank "if it don't go, blow it" Burkhard