<VV> Vent window restoration help

goofyroo@excite.com goofyroo@excite.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:48:24 -0500 (EST)

I have a '63 Monza convertible, too.  The rivets you speak of can be ground off or drilled out for weatherstrip replacement.  To put new ones in, I invested in a low-cost riveting tool.  Can't remember what I paid now, but it wasn't much, and it's paid for itself with other jobs since.

With pits on chrome, once they're there, all you can do is minimize them.  I use a product called Nevr Dull, which is a cottony material in a can soaked with a chemical that makes chrome shine when rubbed.

Don't bother with "chrome paint."  I've never seen anything from a can that approaches the look of real chrome.

I think the Tech Guides, pricey as they are, will save you many hours and dollars with this and other jobs ahead of you.

Michael Smith
Dallas

I am working on my 63 Corvair Monza convertible.
Having a heck of a time trying to figure out what to
do with the vent window trim.
- The vent window trim has small pits and some rust.
I used steel wool to get most of the rust and
scratches off. What options do I have to make it as
close to perfect as I can? Chrome paint? Rechrome (I
have no idea how to remove the trim from the glass
without destroying it.)
- The vent window looks like it was pop rivited to
the metal frame at its pivot point. Any ideas on how
to attach the window to the frame?

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com