<VV> Air Filter Tests (no direct Corvair)

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:14:01 -0500

Well, I will answer that one. All production automotive designs are a series of compromises.

Filtering versus flow
Noise versus flow
Cost versus performance.

You CAN get a marginal power increase in many engines by removing intake restrictions. You can get a signifcant increase if you make other modifications
to take full advantage of the lower restriction.

As an example, in a British A-series engine, it's typical to see a 15% (significant) power increase by adding a Stage 1 kit (header, turbo-type muffler,
performance intake, K&N filter...even in the original housing, and a richer carb needle). A Corvair engine responds well to a more open exhaust and intake
(and a slightly larger jet), but not to the same degree.

I agree that in an otherwise unmodified engine simply adding a K&N is going to add a lot more dirt and noise than it will power... but luckily we don't have to
settle for "otherwise unmodified" engines. And I happen to love intake noise...

Bill