<VV> Differential leak and questions

djtcz@comcast.net djtcz@comcast.net
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:51:44 +0000

>snip.................both sides were leaking at
>the bottom of the side bearing adjusting sleeve, so I am guessing the 'O'
>rings (side bearing adjusting sleeve seal ring) are defective. .........The differential >works fine and I really do not want to pull the
>drive train to fix it if I can avoid it.  Question is....If I mark the side
adjusting sleeves and remove them one at a time, can I put on new 'O' Rings
and reassemble them back to where they were without screwing something up.  (I
>do not know a whole lot about working on differentials). Since I do not have a
>side bearing adjusting sleeve tool (J-8342), what would make a good substitute
>to remove them, or they usually pretty frozen up?  Helpful suggestions
>appreciated, and thanks in advance.

>Cecil Mills

That's the kind of leak I would be strongly tempted to cure with silicon sealer applied in-situ, after draining the lube, and scrubbing and  degreasing the area with brake clean.
I would attempt to hide my shame by choosing a color other than blue or orange.

A recently departed crusty techno-curmudgeon recomended rubbing bar soap on a leaky seam to seal it for a long, long time.  I believe an older-timer had told him about it.  I almost look forward to having a leak on which to try the trick, which I fully expect to work perfectly.