<VV> Evening Orchid Corsa 'Vert at 4 degrees F...

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 07:59:10 -0500

The presence of a decimal (-7.9) makes me think you're writing in Celsius,
but I have no real hints otherwise. Both are cold (below freezing). Could we
adopt the habit on this list of stating whether we're talking Celsius or
Fahrenheit, the way Craig did? Almost as good (better in some ways) would be
to (always) give your location, perhaps in your signature, and readers will
work it out from that which standard you're talking in.
     Question on this point: the temperature gauge on my Corsa is marked in
Fahrenheit (400 in the middle). Were Corvairs made in other countries marked
in Celsius? I think Corsas are the only model that HAVE a temperature gauge,
and if they weren't made outside the US, then the only standard ever used in
Corvairs would be Fahrenheit.
     A cold-weather report from Miami regarding Corvairs (it got down almost
to 40F here the other night). My fuel gauge was on Empty when I came out in
the morning. When I removed the sender, I found the float with enough gas in
it that I think it sank. Other symptoms were consistent with float sinking.
I replaced the whole sender assembly, so I don't quite know what the problem
was, but it was a notably cold morning by local standards - cold enough to
affect machinery, as you can see.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C