<VV> Re: Pump Mods

GYoungwolf@aol.com GYoungwolf@aol.com
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 07:45:58 EST

There are several ways to do this modification. Once you get the new hole
drilled (make sure the holes on both carbs are the same distance from the end),
you should bend the accelerator pump link/rod (straighten it more) so that it
moves the mark on the lever back in line with the small boss on the carb cover.
The attachment to the arm can be made by cutting a groove in the pump link
and using a spring clip to secure it, or cutting the pump lever off just below
the new hole and using the old clip. If you make this mod, it is a good time to
check the wear (there will be some) at the throttle shaft lever and rod, and
to ensure that your pump lever is installed properly (it can be put on
backwards).

Similar results can be obtained by enlarging the squirter hole(s), or you can
do both the arm and hole modification depending on your engine and driving
needs.

The Carbmeister

<I've been wanting to do the modification to the accelerator pumps that
increases the amount it moves for a given change in the throttle position.  I
finally did it today and all I can say is what a difference!!! Basically it
involved drilling a hole in the pump lever about 1/2" closer to the pivot shaft and
connecting the link from the throttle shaft through the
new hole. Very simple, very effective, why didn't I do it sooner?!  Made the
throttle much more responsive especially when pulling away from a stop.>