<VV> Spyware & Anti-virus

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:42:57 EST

Alan,

You may be safe or .... maybe not.  Is your anti-scumbag software updated on
a regular basis?  The reason that Norton and the rest of them are constantly
coming up with updates is because the scumbags out there keep coming up with
new ways to attack our PCs.  Almost by definition, the vast majority of updates
are reactions to new virus and spyware versions that have been found somewhere
or another.  In effect, they have already infected someone.  In addition,
Norton, McAfee and the rest all seem to have some limitations.  Many have stated
in this venue that they have run scans with "X" software with no flags raised
and then run scans with "Y" software and found problems.  Nothing is 100%
safe.  I too would be worried by the blank page.

By the way, I doubt that the spoof/phish email you received has anything to
do with your hijacked account problem.  I receive these all the time with
regard to eBay, PayPal, Citibank, etc. and I have never been hijacked.  I suspect
that these scumbags have been targeting US accounts (.com) for the most part
and are just now getting around to you folks.  Congratulations.

Doc
~~~~~~~~
In a message dated 1/16/2005 2:21:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
virtualvairs-request@corvair.org writes:
Message: 1
From: "Alan and Clare Wesson" <alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk>
To: "Virtual Vairs" <VirtualVairs@corvair.org>
Subject: Re: [VV-talk] Re: <VV> EBay heads up (no Corvair but very
  useful if you buy or sell Corvair stuff on eBay!)
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:22:15 -0000

> Just clicking on the button connects them to your computer, and in less
time than it takes to say "I shouldn't have done that !" they have installed
Spyware on your computer that "echoes" your key strokes to them, and so your
"encrypted" passwords are sent to them, because they can see each key you press.

> The blank screen probably just makes you wait for something to show up,
while it's installing its spyware.

That's what I am worried about. I have run Norton and changed all my
passwords since, but Norton didn't pick anything up.

So am I safe?

Cheers

Alan