<VV> Paypal Rip-Off

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:16:58 -0500

Paypal is wonderful...it has revolutionized dealing with individuals and companies in other countries (ever try to buy Tatra parts?)...  but has some inherent
dangers.

One of the most common complaints I hear is the inability of Paypal to get your money back in a bad transaction. IMO, this is not a valid
complaint...because if you didn't have Paypal, how would you normally conduct the transaction? Money order, cashier's check, EFT... in any case ZERO
chance of a refund.

The two biggest dangers I see on Paypal are security (I only enter Paypal info on the Paypal site) and the nasty ability for Paypal to take money back from
you if they decide a refund is in order. (I control this by having a bank account they can trasnfer money into but not out of, maintaining a zero paypal
balance, and using a credit card with "internet protection" limiting my risk to $50)

My biggest problem is dealing with Paypal users who cannot accept credit card payments... a small inconvenience considering the other advantages.

Bill Elliott