<VV> RE: Paypal Rip-Off

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:24:41 -0500

I am familiar with this site. For the most part it deals with unsubstantiated claims, refusals of Paypal to reverse charges, businesses that take Paypal as a
primary means of payment (and don't take precautions), and users that either leave a bank account or large paypal balance exposed. If you follow my
advice, you will have no more problems than you would doing the transaction any other way. Go and check... you can find similar disgruntled sites for
Ebay, Amazon, etc... even as we proved on this list, vendors cannot make everyone happy... and if your customers number in the millions, even 0.5% can
make for a great website with horror stories...

If you are a business and are considering receiving credit cards as a regular form of payment, I would work directly with a card issuer, not with Paypal. The
protections on PayPal work much better for the payer than for the payee. And as a payer, that's the way I prefer it.

On the bank account, check with your bank. Often they can add a savings account (I simply used an unused savings account attached to my checking
account) for very little effort or expense. And most savings accounts do not allow electronics transfers out, only in. That's the sort of account you want. Do
that...and keep your PP balance low and you are exposed very little.

You can be obstinate if you'd like...but you're only restricting the way YOU can do business... won't affect Paypal in the least.

Bill Elliott