<VV> New question, how does one go about polishing a nitritided crank?

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:03:53 -0800

Okay, so all Turbo cranks were nitritided and some 140's were as well.
Interesting!  New question....I have a long stroke crank that I sent out to
have magnafluxed, ground and nitritided.  Due to a falling out with the shop
that was doing the machine work, I have a bunch of "works in progress" with
regards to the heads, crankshaft, cylinders, pistons etc.  I was planning to
do the 94mm VW piston/cylinder job on the engine so you can imagine what a
mess I have being half finished with the machine work.  I have the
crankshaft that was ground and nitritided but lacks the final polishing to
put it into use.  What is the procedure to polishing it and is it something
that can be done without special tools?  The surface of the entire
crankshaft is a dull, dark gray in appearance due to the nitritiding
process.  I imagine the crank will have to be polished on a special machine?
Correct?

Thanks,

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89, 110 On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw