<VV> Corvairs as A-bodies, engineering similarities?

William D Conwill conwi1wd@cmich.edu
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:15:21 -0500

I recently discovered that GM considered the Corvair to be
part of the same "A-body" series as the 1961-1963 Buick
Special, Olds F-85 and Pontiac Tempest.  That sure suprised
me!

Aside from some elements of the Tempest transaxle, did these
cars share any other components or design features?  The
front suspension, maybe?  Were the original A-bodies unibody
like the 'Vair?

Maybe this is the wrong place to be asking, but it's a
start.  I've noticed that information about the other A-
bodies is curiously absent (at least for the '61 to '63
cars) online.

-Dave