<VV> Corvairs as A-bodies, engineering similarities?

William D Conwill conwi1wd@cmich.edu
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:00:28 -0500

"The first A platform was a 'compact' (for the time)
platform for the FR layout 1961 Buick Special, Oldsmobile
Cutlass, and Pontiac Tempest and RR layout Chevrolet
Corvair. It grew through the 1960s and 1970s as a rear wheel
drive platform, finally to be discontinued for 1982. High
sales, however, kept the platform alive as the re-named G-
Body." Courtesy of...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_A_platform

"The Corvair was part of GM's innovative A-body line of
cars, but this was by far the most unusual, due to the
location and design of its engine. It was a rear-engined
vehicle in the style of the Volkswagen Beetle and the
Porsche 356 Speedster. The 'trunk', on the other hand, was
in the front of the vehicle." Courtesy of...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvair

This is why I was double-checking my facts, it was the first
time I'd ever heard such an allegation.

-Dave