<VV> Clutch prob.

Fralene579@aol.com Fralene579@aol.com
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:07:10 EST

Dear Sir:  My 64 Monza coupe clutch slipped, also was hard to get in 1st, 2nd
and rev. I bought it from a guy who said the tranny went bad and he put in a
62. I ran it about 2 weeks 20 years ago and garaged it. Recently I "got the
urge" and drained and cleaned tank and added in line filter. Overhauled carbs
and changed fuel pump. Replaced battery, U-joints, one rear brg. and packed
other one. Brakes were froze and stuck to drums. New master and brake kits all
around akso new flex lines. Got car started and runs good except clutch prob.
still exists. Also painted car and am working on interior.
    Now I pulled eng.and the clutch disc was installed backward. It wore a
shiny spot on crankshaft so the slippage occured, also the grinding due to input
shaft constantly turning.
   I want to put in a Vega disc which I had cut the hub down on, however
Clark's warns in several places, the retaining ring must be removed from flywheel
installation to prevent bolts from hitting disc. Is this really necessary if
there's sufficient clearence? I prefer the extra support to prevent wobble,
etc. I will check for clearence, Say at least 1/16 to 1/8".
  Next and last, I wasn't told but someone also put a 1965 "RA" code engine
in car. I read where you must put a late bell housing in with a late eng. in an
early. Can you givr me numbers of acceptible housings? Info here is sketchy.
There's also confusion on which transmission support to use. My bell housing
has #3832176 on it; diff. has HA 07 06 #3826196, and trans. has R 1211
#3833192. I have some extra bell housings #6256583 plus some automatics. Will seal
engine and hope all will be well. Any info is appreciated.
  Frank Lux